Risk's Ultralight Hiking

The skills involved in setting up a light backpack serve well for both hiking and touring. Learning what is really necessary and then finding high quality gear that meets my honest needs leads to much less carried and more fun. I hope this journal is as much fun to read as it is to write.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Reading at Barnes and Noble


There was the snow, and my wife's desire to not drive in the snow, and my desire to be out of the snow. All this resulted in my enjoying a nice morning reading a motorcycle touring book.

The book, titled Motorcycle Touring, was written by Dr. Gregory W. Frazier, had a great quote about the difference between travel in a car and travel on a motorcycle.

"We are moving through the environment of the earth, tasting and smelling it, not from the enclosed bubble of a car or a bus or a pressurized airplane. We are actually part of what we are passing through." (p. 17)

To tell the truth, with the snow swirling outdoors, I don't much mind being in an enclosed bubble this cold spring day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home